Friday, August 28, 2009

Crack tempeh

To think that I never used to be a fan of tempeh. It just tasted oddly nutty, with a slight fermentation. Ew. Now, you can't keep me away from it. I usually have 4 or 5 packages sitting in my fridge waiting to be cooked up. My favorite things to do with the cultured bean? Slice it up and pan fry it in garlic, soy sauce and maple syrup to make tempeh bacon. Or, marinate it in apple cider, tomato paste, garlic, worcerstershire sauce and whatever else I have lying around, pan fry it and serve it up in tempeh reubens. Mmm...tempeh reubens.

These were my two favorite ways to make tempeh...until now. For lunch yesterday I made the most simple and addicting tempeh salad. Seriously, I don't know what makes it so good; it's one of those things were the whole is greater than the parts. I fondly refer to it as Crack Tempeh.


The recipe came from the Native Foods Restaurant cookbook, which as usual I tweaked to fit what was in my lil cupboard.


Crack Tempeh

1 package (8 oz) tempeh, sliced widthwise and lengthwise into 4 pieces
2-3 Tbs olive oil
2Tbs soy sauce
4 Tbs water
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup Vegenaise
Scallions, herbs or whatever your heart desires to throw in


Directions:

1. Heat oil in pan over med-high. Add tempeh patties and cook a couple of minutes each side until golden and crispy, adding more oil if needed.

2. Mix the soy sauce, water and garlic in a bowl and add to the pan.

3. Lower heat and cook til the liquid has been absorbed.

4. Allow tempeh to cool slightly, and chop roughly into chunks.

5. Combine tempeh, vegenaise and whatever herbs you're using in a bowl.


That's it! I served my tempeh crack on a bed of romaine lettuce with basmati rice and the most delicious balsamic dressing.

2 comments:

  1. I bet this is really good! There's a similar recipe for the tempeh base of for Spicy Tempeh sushi rolls on the PPK. The main difference is that it also includes hot sauce. Whenever I make it to stuff into sushi, I always end up eating a ton straight from the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and for trying my Chana Masala! SO spicy and delish, right? The addition of coconut milk sounds awesome, I'm totally going to try that.

    I love your ode to tempeh. It's only in the last year that I have grown to love tempeh myself. I love that it's one of those ingredients that you can have several sitting in the fridge all the time waiting to be eaten at a moments notice! I particularly like the sound of the reuben, oh my!

    ReplyDelete